Friday, October 19, 2018

Investing in the Next Generation

A few months ago, the Director of Children's Ministry of our region spoke at our church. I knew before he came that I likely needed to step up to help with Girls' Ministry. It was a tough decision to make because Our Girl was with us and she didn't receive me well no matter where we were. It would not be enjoyable if I helped in her Girls' Ministry class. Not enjoyable for her, for me, the leaders, nor the other girls in the class. When I made myself available, I was offered to do crafts with all of the girls once a month and fill in when needed. THAT I could commit to! I sure do like crafts! There are BINS and BINS and BINS of craft items that need to be sorted through. There's enough craft supplies to do a craft a week for a year! We're sticking to a craft a month though :)

About a month ago, the fine folks at Renshaw Farms that I blogged about recently donated pumpkins for the girls to paint. Boy do they LOVE to paint! :) Here are some photos of the pumpkins!


This week was my second craft night with them. There has definitely been some hand-holding from one of the other leaders to direct me on what crafts are on the list to do. There are widows and widowers that are pastors and missionaries within our church's network. Each Girls' Ministry group is designated to make birthday cards for some of the widows and widowers. We had six celebrating birthdays in the month of November. Boy do these girls like to design and create cards out of plain paper, stamps, and markers! Each widow and widower will receive THREE personally handcrafted card from our girls. What a treat! I snapped a selfie of these three with me before going home for the night. Who wouldn't want cards from these amazing kiddos?!?



Before our niece Brooklynn went back home after being with us for the summer, she convinced each kiddo she hung out with this summer to join an interactive game called Roblox. Have you heard of it? There's like a gazillion games built into this one app. The preferred game is called Meep City. It actually teaches an incredible amount of responsibility to these kiddos! First and foremost, they should only be "friends" on the game with people that they actually know. They can live chat in the game or they can have private messages individually or start group chats. In Meep City, they have to earn coins which can be done by watering and picking flowers, fishing then selling the fish, and even racing cars. Fairly realistic, right? haha With their coins, they can purchase items for in their house, purchase an upgraded house, or even buy items for their friends! They have to save save save if they want to buy that golden toilet for 2500 coins! I apparently have been deemed the "Fairy Godmother" among these kiddos! I may or may not have purchased a golden toilet for one or more of them! I have a fancy house that I have saved for in my strategic flower picking and fishing marathons. I don't mind gifting elaborate things for the kiddos especially if I see a new item that comes available while they are in school! I can surprise them when they sign on and then they don't have to buy the item! I have learned that I cannot buy a new house for them and they have to save save save for a new / bigger house. They REALLY like to interact with me on the game and I REALLY enjoy it! Plus it gives me something to talk about with them when we are in person. It's crazy that they have so much to say to me when they didn't necessarily have much to say to me before. I don't think it's just because I have a castle full of fun things and buy stuff for them on the game! :) Legit... I am fun! I about pogo sticked myself right into one of their showers the other day! Oops! So here's a picture of my fancy castle decked out in Rent The Chicken blue! I just wish I could have a little chicken coop and sell the eggs for money, too! I guess that would be more like Farmville and less like Meep City then! :) Find me if you play, I'm AuntieJTB231 of course! I'm the one decked out in a blue shirt, jeans, and a headset just like I'm often found in real life!


Looks like it's time to pick my flowers so I can gift some more items!

No comments:

Post a Comment