Monday, May 14, 2018

The last few days on the Homestead

So I failed again. It's Sunday. It's been 8 days since my last entry and absolutely failed at #FridayFamilyFoodFun! But I'm here now! Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do! I'll likely work backwards. There may be some triggers here.

Mother's Day is VERY hard for me. I know I've mentioned being part of the Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Club. I know I've mentioned infertility. I know I've mentioned our Foster Son who moved abruptly in November of 2017. So not only have we been pregnant nine times but we've grieved nine times when my body could not carry to term. Since then we've grieved not being able to get pregnant. We skip going to church on Mother's Day. We avoid restaurants. I've even learned that going to Lowe's on Mother's Day is like going to a bar on St Patrick's Day - it's amateur day/night! haha So we slept in, did chores, worked on a big project, and had Phil's mom over for dinner. Ironically, people say "Happy Mother's Day" similarly to "Happy New Year!" I was messaging with someone I don't know about a few of our older rental coops that we have for sale and she ended her message with "Happy Mother's Day!" Someone called today (which is now Monday - the day after Mother's Day) and wished me "Happy Belated Mother's Day". I guess the thought is that everyone celebrates it whether you celebrate with your mom, your spouse's mom, someone who is like a mom, or as a mom yourself. People aren't looking to offend but they are happy to extend the wishes. It still hurts. We're looking forward to have good news to share soon about our adventures in the Foster to Adopt process! Even when we receive the blessing of the next child into our lives, we'll likely still skip church on Mother's Day and make our own safe place to celebrate.. or not.

I had the pleasure of going on another delivery run with Homestead Phil this past weekend. They are so fun! The egg-citement that our renters have for the experience is so contagious! We are sold out in some of our regions but still have chickens and coops available in other region. This is a super busy time of the year with potential renters calling to reserve and current renters calling with simple conversations, stories to share, and concerns. Here's a Happy Renter photo from this past weekend!



Dandelions - I wish I snapped a picture in this last week of lawns and lawns just FULL of dandelions. When I finished college and moved to Maryland, I thought it was so unusual that I didn't see many dandelions. Actually very few. I also didn't know that everyone works and has school on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It's the first day of hunting season in Western Pennsylvania so there is absolutely no school that day. Everyone goes back to school and work that day in Maryland at least in the Baltimore metro area! So I quickly learned that dandelions are a weed. Most people in more urban and suburban setting treat their lawns and the dandelions don't grow. Chickens sure do like dandelions though! Well... just about any green and flowered plant really :)

For Homestead Phil's birthday in March, we went out to eat to an Irish pub at his request. I tried the most DELISH dish I have ever eaten! I was so impressed that I googled the dish's origin expecting for it to be Irish. No. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1934! Say, what?!? How did I make it to 41 years in my life and never have a Turkey Devonshire?! It's a piece of bread topped with real turkey pieces, a delightful cheese sauce, and bacon. Some serve it with tomato on top but tomatoes aren't a fav of mine so I order it without. I sweet-talked Homestead Phil in to going back to the same restaurant last weekend so I could get my Turkey Denvonshire fix! I took a picture this time! It is served in the dish it was heated in. So delish. I may have to sweet-talk Homestead Phil again soon! I did try to make it since his birthday but I didn't nail the cheese sauce. It's like the cheese that is in crab dip but a bit lighter. I can't even describe how good this cheese is! So here's the pic of the region famous Turkey Devonshire:



I think I need to start making real notes and not just notes in my head about what I chat about. I have these great ideas during the week and when I sit down, writer's block sets in! I mean... you likely can't tell! I'm such a chatter box I always have something to chat about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment