Friday, February 9, 2018

About Homestead Jenn - Family. Food. Fun!

So as you can probably guess from my blog title and the front page of my blog, I am "Homestead Jenn". I've been branded this because my husband is known as "Homestead Phil". One day I'll explain why. :)

I've been thinking lately that I might just be interesting enough to be a blogger. Maybe? I'm definitely not interesting enough to be a vlogger though! Maybe I am but I don't want to make the time and don't have the abilities to make it be awesome. At this point, I'm not sure I want to make the time nor have the abilities to be a blogger! A number of people have recommended that I start blogging. I know this needs to be personal but not too personal. Not everyone wants to know every detail of my life but It can't be vague-ogging. (See what I did there?) I absolutely know that I want to write about Family, Food, and Fun!

Family to me is all encompassing. I have my loving hubs, Homestead Phil who has been my hubs since 2009! He's my biggest fan, partner in life, business visionary, and most recently pots & pans washer! We have our ever loving Givi Kitty who we've had since June of 2011! We have a boat load (probably not as big as Noah's boat but still a fairly large boat) of family members. We have mothers, fathers, step-fathers, step-mothers, sisters, brothers, step-siblings, sister-n-laws, brother-n-laws, grandparents, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins' kids, and more! Homestead Phil and I are co-founders of Rent The Chicken. We help members of our community to get started with backyard hens for fresh eggs. We also help farmers and homesteaders (our Affiliates) to add an additional revenue stream offering Rent The Chicken and Hatch The Chicken. Every time we add on a new Rent The Chicken Affiliate to grow our mission of "families helping families to bring one single food source closer to the table", we say "Welcome to the Rent The Chicken Family!". We also use the same phrase when someone commits to participating in either our Rent The Chicken or Hatch The Chicken programs! Both "families" in our mission are part of our Rent The Chicken Family. Homestead Phil is also sometimes just known as Phil. Odd, right? Phil and I also have our church family. Our Pastor actually calls me "Famous Jenn" instead of "Homestead Jenn" because of the number of times I was on the news and in the newspaper shortly after we started attending our church. As if that's not enough family, we'd like to continue growing our family. We are foster parents. Our current situation is that we are in the midst of changing foster care agencies and we are almost re-certified.

Food - When I order something delicious sounding or I'm cramming a delightful sweet pile of goodness into my mouth, I like to put my hands on my hips and say "I didn't get all these curves for no reason!". Ideally I should cram less into my mouth and have less curves but alas, my will for yummy food outweighs my desire to have less curves. I love to bake and I used to be known as Jenn The Baker! I also love to cook. Often Phil says "I'm getting a little hungry.". Sometimes I make quick sandwiches and other times an hour later I've come up with a new creation and hope it's not awful! By then he's almost starving! haha We of course always have fresh eggs on hand from our flock of backyard hens. We try to consume as many local foods as we can between raising meat rabbits, Phil's deer hunting skills, the generosity of my aunt & uncle who include us on their pork processing, and Phil's large garden. We also buy a quarter cow about every other year as well. I love deer steak but there's something incredible about a porterhouse steak off of a locally raised pasture raised cow! We try to keep balance in our food habits so we still eat Pringles too! :)

Fun! We are fun and funny! (Although when asked who's the funny one, I will say that I am .. every. single. time.!) We do these Facebook Live videos on our Rent The Chicken Facebook Page every month or two and I've been calling them "Fun with Rent The Chicken". A number of people get the humor as Sheldon and Amy from Big Bang Theory have their "Fun with Flags" show! We love to make each other laugh and we love to make others laugh too. We enjoy adventures whether it be via motorcycle, canoe, car, foot, or our little RV! Homestead Phil is always coming up with adventurous ideas! One day I'll tell you ALL ABOUT "chicken races". Maybe one day I'll even reproduce a certain video of me chasing a chicken. Good times. Good times.

I'm sure this is the part of the blog where I post a photo or two and say that I'll write again soon! Looking forward to sharing about my Family, Food, and Fun!

1 comment: