Friday, November 9, 2018

Running Update - November 9, 2018

I survived my "long run" last Saturday - 3 miles! My legs felt fairly good and my lungs held up! I was so pleased although my pace did slow as the miles continued. Considering I was on the injured list recently, I was very happy to get out there three times last week! I'm going to be brave and post my times! I warned you that I'm not a fast runner and it had been a month since my last "long run" of 2.5 miles. With using the Run / Walk / Run ratios, as long as my legs keep from hurting, I can go quite a long distance compared to if I just ran without the walk breaks.

I had been eying up a 5k race on the 10th. In order to have my "long run" day line up with the race day, I had to give myself an extra rest day after the long run. It made a lot of sense since I really don't want to be injured. So I took Sunday off and my legs felt great! I rested on Monday as well and my legs still felt great! I got ready for my run on Tuesday and my legs hurt before I even got ready for the run. :( I went anyway and my times were awful. I was slow because it wasn't comfortable. I've been in touch with my half marathon runner and blogger friend, Becky ('lil Burghers and MrsGregWillis.com). She recommended for me to purchase a roller of sorts for my legs. I also reached out to a high school friend regarding compression socks and she gave some great recommendations! First one being, take an ice cold bath to soak my legs after the run for 10-15 minutes. Say, what? She also recommended wearing a hoodie while soaking as it would be cold. Yes. It was. BUT it was magical! My legs felt better! Here's my times from that awful run on Tuesday: (I may need to add another topic to my blog as this run was not FUN!)

My legs were still a bit sore yesterday although I planned on running anyway BUT.. since it starts to get dark at like 3pm (I joke of course), I didn't make it out. It's been pouring down rain all day today and it's cold. (Am I making excuses?) We'll have to leave soon to visit our Amish friend. Maybe if we get back before dark, I'll make it out. Otherwise, my compression socks should arrive tomorrow so maybe I'll give my legs one more day to rest and get out tomorrow! My high school friend is in the compression socks industry but she has been ill. When she's feeling better, I'll disclose where I got the fancy socks from!

Needless to say, I won't be at the 5k race tomorrow. I think I need to just focus on keeping my legs healthy and enjoying the running. It's crazy that I actually do enjoy it and no one is chasing me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment