Tuesday, February 13, 2018

"Do you want to rent out some chickens?"

As you know from my previous entry here, my contract position was due to come to an end and I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management concentrating in Small Business / Entrepreneurship. We learned in the six months of both of us working from home, we really like to be together a lot! When we told my mom that we were both going to work from home. She really didn't think that was a good idea as we would likely get sick of being together so much! She is right a lot of the time but we just passed the five year threshold of both working from home. Add to that, we've been working TOGETHER for more of those years. We really like it! :)

Since before ever meeting, both Phil and I have wanted children and want to be home with them - at least one of us anyway. Typically one adult in the house works outside of the home, right? We had been praying and brain storming about what I could do from home for work. I'm not passionate enough about any particular MLM business so that option was out. Homestead Phil likes to say "She can sell reading glasses to a blind man!" :) But if I'm not sold on it, I'd prefer not to sell it to someone else. We live in a rural area. Gone are the days of $30 per hour part-time gigs like I became accustomed to! I really didn't want to be gone from Phil or the homestead for 40 hours a week. Plus, for a sales job, I'd likely have to travel 45-55 minutes to Pittsburgh each way. Didn't I already leave a job with that length of a commute once?

One night while we were both on our devices while lying in bed, Phil was searching for crazy business ideas online. I was probably scrolling through Facebook or playing Canasta or FreeCell on my phone while having no idea what he was looking at. He said told me a few random crazy business ideas. We chuckled. I went back to my phone. Then he said that there are companies that are renting chickens. Say what? Why in the world? *blank stare* Remember that Homestead Phil is the visionary! He went on to say that it made complete sense. We had already made our transition from city life to one of a homesteading nature. "We can help others do the same!" He exclaimed probably with more excitement than I would have imagined. We chatted about it for not very long. Much shorter than one would expect before Phil said "Do you want to rent out some chickens?" Without hesitation, I said "Sure! We have some chickens and I can work the power tools to build coops."

Rent The Chicken was hatched!

Maybe one day I'll tell you how we came up with Rent The Chicken over any other names that we considered. Despite recommendations, Pimp My Chicken was off the table very quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment