Thursday, March 29, 2018

"Egg in the Hole" Technique

Do you know what an "Egg in the Hole" is? I'm not sure I did until I met Phil! Here's a picture of my perfected Egg in the Hole!


I've tried to make this probably twenty different ways and FINALLY pulled all of my positive Egg in the Hole results together! Here's what I've learned through the years:
  • Use an electric griddle and not a skillet - I don't know why but I think this is what helped perfect it!
  • Butter one side of the bread. Place it on the hot electric griddle butter side down. Butter the other side.
  • Cut a hole into the bread. I usually cut a square about 1.5". Be careful though! Don't scratch your griddle!
  • I always crack my egg into a little bowl before adding it to a dish. At this point, I gently pour a bit of the egg white in first and finish with the yolk.
  • Once the bottom of the bread is nice and toasted, CAREFULLY flip your Egg in the Hole over.
  • Let it cook until you have a desired "dippy" (it's a Western PA thing!) or over easy egg.
  • By then, the bottom of your bread will also be toasted.
You're welcome! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment